Friday, August 30, 2013

Dragon Music

  I was reading this week about Tasha Tudor.  If you don't know of her or
her illustration work I highly suggest checking her out.  She was a remarkable
woman.  Anyway, while reading The Art of Tasha Tudor by Harry Davis
found out something I didn't know.  She burned a lot of her work, including
drawings, watercolors and even oil paintings.
  A few weeks ago I felt like doing the same thing.  Then I read another
illustrator's blog somewhere (if you know pls. post a comment) that said
even if you have a stack of drawings in the trash, that's progress.  Each sketch
is one little step toward something better.   I'm learning from everything I have
sketched and painted.
 One day last week I suggested the kids brainstorm to come up with ideas for
things to draw.  I wrote Animals and Action at the top of a page and drew a line
down dividing them.  We wrote a long list of whatever animal popped into our
heads, then did the same with actions.  Then we picked one animal and one
action and drew the outcome.  Here is mine.
(The kids were cute too but are lost in clutter;(
Mine was Dragon Listening to Music as you can see.
           It later developed into the sketch above.  I think I made the boy a little too old looking to be fantasizing about being a dragon but it was fun to do.  Mistakes clear your vision, and as 
Jake from Adventure Time says, "Dude, sucking at something is the first step 
towards being sort of good at something." 

No comments:

Post a Comment